First, I would like to start by giving you a little background information on Dot Girl.
Our goal at Dot Girl Products is that every girl has a positive first period experience and an empowered first step to womanhood.
We are two sisters, Terri Goodwin and Kathy Pickus, who founded Dot Girl Products in December of 2006. We bring our experience as daughters and mothers to help you honestly address an uncomfortable topic.Our motivation to create The Dot Girl’s First Period Kit® grew from our own awkward teenage experiences. Despite the fact that our mother was a wonderful nurturer to four daughters, she was never comfortable talking to us about our bodies. We found that this is more often the rule than the exception for both moms and dads. And the reality today is that parents often find themselves in the awkward position of having avoided the subject at all costs, to the detriment of their daughters.
Our goal for the kit is to provide parents with the information and supplies you need to explain the basics of menstruation to your daughters. And for the girls, we hope that having the kit will lessen their anxiety about their first period and instead turn it into a positive experience.
Adolescence is a very emotional time, especially for girls. I have been searching for just the right way, and just the right products to help me help my girls through this tough transition. I stumbled across Dot Girl on another blog, and loved their approach to menstruation and changing bodies. Dot Girl really understands how touchy this subject is with young girls and helps to make it easier to talk about. I received The Dot Girl’s First Period Kit to review with my girls, and was very impressed. Although I am not allowed to disclose with you any actual pictures of my girls, or what exactly we talked about, for privacy reasons, and because “Mommy promised!”, I will give you a run down on what I think of the actual product.
- The Dot Girl Period Answer Book answers twenty common questions about menstruation including:
When will I get my first period?
How do I track my period?
What about cramps?
What is a period anyway?
- 5 Feminine Pads
- 5 Disposal Bags for disposing of used pads.
- 1 Reusable Dot Girl Warm Pad, a gel heating pad for soothing cramps
- 2 Hand Wipes
The packaging is very girly, and no one will guess what is inside. This makes it easy to keep in a backpack or purse, without fear that anyone will “know” what is inside. The Answer Book is very thorough about explaining frequently asked questions. Everything your young lady will need is included.
I love the Dot Girl Website! It has so many wonderful resources and products. You can find links for your daughter, First Period FAQ’s, a free period calender, and loads of articles and other resources.
Giveaway! Ends 12/21 1pm PST
Please read the Giveaway Rules before entering!
- Mandatory Entry: Follow me via GFC publicly and tell me another product from Dot Girl! (+1)
- Like Dot Girl on Facebook and thank them for this giveaway (+1)
- Make a purchase from Dot Girl (+1 for every dollar you spend!)
- Follow Dot Girl Moms on Twitter (+1)
- Follow What Mama Wants on Twitter (+1)
- Like the **NEW** What Mama Wants Facebook page (+1)
- Post about this giveaway on your Facebook status, tagging Dot Girl Kit and What Mama Wants and linking back leave me the status link to find it please (+3)
- Tweet about this giveaway- Sample Tweet “#win @DotGirlMoms #giveaway at @whatmamawants” (+1 per tweet up to four times per day, at least 1 hour apart!)
- Grab my **NEW** button (the old one will no longer count)put it on your blog and leave me a link to find it (+3 )
- Vote for me on Picket Fence (+1 per day)
- Vote for me on Top Baby Blogs (+1 per day)
- Follow What Mama Wants via Networked Blogs (+2)
- Subscribe to What Mama Wants via Emails (+2)
I was not paid to give this review or giveaway. The review item was sent to me free of charge. All opinions are mine, and mine alone. I try to be very honest when giving a review.This giveaway will end on December 21, 2010 at 1pm PST. Winner will be chosen randomly by Random.org random number generator. I will email the winner, and they have 48 hours to respond to my email with their mailing information. If there is no response within 48 hours, a new winner will be chosen. Giveaway items will be mailed to winner by Dot Girl!